My mom has been requested soft baked cookies many times since she knew I made some to be sold. Last time I was home for Christmas holiday, I granted her request. Currently I love trying recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction, she has lots soft baked cookies recipes, including recipe I use below. You can check hers here.
This recipe is quite different from other recipe I usually made, because she told to melted the butter first (in my case I use margarine). Melted the butter really changed the game. I mean the batter texture. It’s sticky with glue-like texture which made it mandatory to chill it first before you shape it into balls. I use ice scream scoop to shape my cookies. It’s easy and worryless the batter will stick covered all my palms.
In her recipe she mentioned to use 1 egg yolk + 1 whole egg, but I made it 2 whole eggs instead. And she also put cornstarch to her batter, but I didn’t. The final result was still soft, chewy, with crumbly texture inside.
- 280 gr all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 170 gr margarine, melted
- 150 gr packed light or dark brown sugar
- 100 gr granulated sugar
- 2 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 180 gr chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. I only use wooden spatula for the whole mixing process, no mixer needed. Add in eggs. Finally, whisk in vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. I always spread thin layer of margarine to cover all part of my baking sheet and dust it lightly with all purpose flour to prevent the bottom part of cookies stick with baking sheet. Set aside.
- Scoop the dough into balls, around 50-70 gr each. The recipe made around 14 large and thick cookies. Press a few more chocolate chips/chunks on top of the dough balls for looks, if desired.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. They will continue to bake on the cookie sheet. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.